Hi Debra, and thanks for joining us on the Young Authors Academy blog.
1. What is the most recent book you’ve had published and can you please tell us a bit about it?
The Scared Book asks readers to help it not be scared and to chase away monsters that appear on its pages.
2. What was the first story you remember writing when you were at school and can you tell us what happened in the story?
It was about a convict escaping from Fort Denison by out-swimming ten sharks in Sydney Harbour! It was called The Old Grass Hut. I still have it!
3. What got you interested in writing in the first place?
I’ve always loved picture books – I had a collection even as a teenager and I was particularly drawn to animal stories. Then when I started reading picture books to my children, it sparked a desire to write.
4. What’s your favourite writing tip and how do you use it in your writing?
I love this quote from Robert Cormier: ‘The beautiful part of writing is that you don’t have to get it right the first time – unlike, say, a brain surgeon.’ It frees me up to think of re-writing and editing as a joy because I can keep playing around with words and ideas until they fit together in the best possible way.
5. What’s your favourite fun activity to do besides writing?
Walking my donkey (I don’t ride him anymore – we are both too old!) and rock climbing.
You can find out everything you need to know about Debra and her books here: www.debratidball.com
Thanks for joining us today on the blog Debra.
Want to keep up-to-date on all the news from Young Authors Academy? Sign up for the newsletter and get the FREE writing tips and tricks.